About the IT Professional and Technologist (me)
I am a passionate leader with 26+ years of multi-disciplinary experience in the Technology sector and my IT Professional career.
I am often described as a driven professional emphasizing perpetual professional development, unconventional thinking, mentoring and being visionary.
I’m highly adaptive, strongly ethical and agile; my fast thinking and ability to see future trends and mitigate risks are parts of my leadership style.
I have strong, soft skills and people skills, and while I demand a high level of performance from my staff, I am always looking to earn their respect and loyalty.
While I am a strong proponent of Open Source Technologies in the Enterprise, I am always looking for the best solution to solve the issue, whatever that may be.
Some quick facts:
- 26 years of technology operations, disaster recovery and information security experience
- 15+ years in Senior Technology Leadership
- Strong Risk Management background with a focus on disaster recovery
- Multi-disciplinary Technology Skillset (Operations, Information Security, Data management, Disaster Recovery, Architectural Planning, System Integration, Strategy and Facilities)
- Always looking to future trends balancing and mitigating risks
- Constant Professional Development
- Global Operations experience, with a focus on global Ecommerce operations and disaster recovery scenarios
- Unconventional thinker
- Strong People / Strong, soft skills
- Adaptive / Agile
- Fast thinker and am at my best with tough challenges
A bit of history
I started with systems support and moved on through Disaster Recovery Planning, Risk Management, DBA duties, Information Security, and eCommerce; eventually entering the Management Track nearly 15 years ago.
You can find out more about my career at my LinkedIn profile; however, I have always been passionate and driven in computing.
I am of the generation that grew up with the first microcomputers (such as the Apple II and the C64) and watched the current design desktops, laptops and servers evolve as each new model was at the forefront of the latest technology.
Without dating myself, I have seen the progression of computing from BASIC on a C64 to planetary-scale cloud systems and AI-driven technologies.
Outside of my professional career in Information Technology, being a witness and partaking in this progression of technology has been a fantastic fun ride.
For me, it is “what is possible”, “the potential for innovation,” and the “near-endless ways” that old and new technologies continue to evolve that keep me interested. I have worked for companies that range from start-ups to 300,000+ people, traditional big oil companies with monolithic ERP systems to global media/e‑commerce companies and manufacturing companies looking to evolve with grid-style networks and Enterprise open-source deployments.
With newer technologies such as the Raspberry Pi, and the powerful open-source technologies that are at anyone’s fingertips…
I am confident that we are entering yet another golden age of technology, and I am happy to consider myself a Technologist, not just an IT professional.